We are DEUS EX MACHINA, a technology company specializing in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), and analytics. Our client roster includes Fortune 100 organizations and startups. At DEUS EX MACHINA, we strive to develop solutions that make a positive impact. We are passionate about building innovative solutions that empower our clients to succeed and grow. At the core of our successful track record are our people, our commitment to client success, and our desire to make an impact through a creative, focused, and collaborative mentality.
The use of data and analytics is integral to our R&D projects and our products. The recent growth of internal and external data has made it imperative to introduce efficient frameworks for the collection, integration, and use of data in modeling, informatics, and analytics. DEUS EX MACHINA is seeking a full-time Biocurator to join its Bioinformatics team in Athens or Thessaloniki and will report to the Bioinformatics Lead.
In your role as a Biocurator, you will extract, collect, annotate, interpret, validate, and integrate data from a variety of sources, including but not limited to scientific literature, biomedical databases, clinical trial registries, and other Life Science related resources. We’re looking for a self-starter who can establish a solid bio-curation data practice for the company that connects and advances the computational research outputs and enables innovation.
Your main responsibilities as a Biocurator will be the following:
- Synthesize data sources corresponding to the analytical objectives and research needs.
- Define the appropriate data resolution and schema for the analytical goals at hand.
- Formulate data representations such as the relational triplet, to capture, describe and store knowledge data units.
- Work with on-premise and on-cloud databases supporting the development of ETL processes, data modeling, model training, and analysis of scientific data.
- Curate and annotate published scientific literature and biomedical data collections and databases.
- Organize and maintain large sets of Life Sciences data and metadata including genomics, metabolomics and transcriptomics, compound, microbiome and other data.
- Conduct literature research and use critical thinking to identify potential Mechanisms of Action (MoAs) for various associations (between microbes, compounds, genes, pathways, and diseases) that have been uncovered by data analysis.
- Run existing bioinformatics analysis pipelines on submitted data through command line or programmatic interfaces and contribute to the development of new pipelines for data curation purposes.
- Collaborate with the Data Science, Engineering and Product Management teams and the company’s stakeholders.
- BSc in Biological Sciences, Human Nutrition/Diet, or Metabolic Diseases is required.
- MSc or Ph.D. in Bioinformatics and/or Biology, Genomics, Genetics, Molecular Biology, or any other related field is a plus.
- At least 3 years of professional experience.
- Familiarity with the use of controlled vocabularies and ontologies to describe biological concepts.
- Strong ability to comprehend and translate scientific literature into data inputs pertinent to the topic of the target bio-database.
- Familiarity with annotation tools and technologies.
- Proficiency with tabular operations such as joining/splitting CSVs, pivot, “melt”, regex string manipulation and “group by” aggregations.
- Intermediate proficiency with SQL, Python scripting oriented towards data-manipulation, and programmatic data collection from web APIs.
- A deep understanding of complex biomedical/biomarker data.
- Extraordinary attention to detail; the curator will be responsible for maintaining healthy datasets on which several R&D projects and products will depend.
- Demonstrated experience in the creation of metadata for curated datasets.
- Working experience with data management practices.
- Familiarity with the FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, and Reusable) data guiding principles.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
At DEUS EX MACHINA we welcome applications from candidates who might or might not tick all the boxes. If you possess an aptitude for learning and a can-do mentality, apply with your latest CV (in English) below.